This policy explains:
- What information we collect during our application and recruitment process and why we collect it;
- How we use that information; and
- How to access and update that information.
Types of information we collect
This policy covers the information you share with us and/or which may be acquired or produced by Google Inc., its subsidiaries and its affiliates during the application or recruitment process including:
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number and other contact information;
- Your resume or CV, cover letter, previous and/or relevant work experience or other experience, education, transcripts, or other information you provide to us in support of an application and/or the application and recruitment process;
- Information from interviews and phone-screenings you may have, if any;
- Details of the type of employment you are or may be looking for, current and/or desired salary and other terms relating to compensation and benefits packages, willingness to relocate, or other job preferences;
- Details of how you heard about the position you are applying for;
- Any sensitive and/or demographic information obtained during the application or recruitment process such as gender, information about your citizenship and/or nationality, medical or health information and/or your racial or ethnic origin;
- Reference information and/or information received from background checks (where applicable) , including information provided by third parties; and/or
- Information relating to any previous applications you may have made to Google and/or any previous employment history with Google.
How we use information we collect
Your information will be used by Google for the purposes of carrying out its application and recruitment process which includes:
- Assessing your skills, qualifications and interests against our career opportunities;
- Verifying your information and carrying out reference checks and/or conducting background checks (where applicable) if you are offered a job;
- Communications with you about the recruitment process and/or your application(s), including, in appropriate cases, informing you of other potential career opportunities at Google;
- Creating and/or submitting reports as required under any local laws and/or regulations, where applicable;
- Where requested by you, assisting you with obtaining an immigration visa or work permit where required;
- Making improvements to Google’s application and/or recruitment process including improving diversity in recruitment practices; and/or
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes or enforceable governmental requests.
We will also use your information to protect the rights and property of Google, our users, applicants, candidates, employees or the public as required or permitted by law.
If you are offered and accept employment with Google, the information collected during the application and recruitment process will become part of your employment record.
Who may have access to your information
- Your information may be shared with our affiliates, subsidiaries or joint ventures in the US and in other jurisdictions. If you have been referred for a job at Google by a current Google employee, with your consent, we may inform that employee about the progress of your application and let the Google employee know the outcome of the process. In some cases, if it is identified that you have attended the same university/school or shared the same previous employer during the same period as a current Google employee we may consult with that employee for feedback on you.
- Google may also use service providers acting on Google’s behalf to perform some of the services described above including for the purposes of the verification / background checks. These service providers may be located outside the country in which you live or the country where the position you have applied for is located.
- Google may sometimes be required to disclose your information to external third parties such as to local labour authorities, courts and tribunals, regulatory bodies and/or law enforcement agencies for the purpose of complying with applicable laws and regulations, or in response to legal process.
- We will also share your personal information with third parties if we have your consent, or to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users, applicants, candidates, employees or the public or as otherwise required by law.
- It is your responsibility to obtain consent from referees before providing their personal information to Google.
- Google is a global company, which means your information may be stored and processed outside of the country or region where it was originally collected including in the United States. As described in our Privacy Shield certification, we comply with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information from the European Union member countries. Google, including Google Inc. and its wholly its wholly-owned subsidiaries, has certified that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles. Google remains responsible for any of your personal information that is shared under the Onward Transfer Principle with third parties for external processing on our behalf, as described above. To learn more about the EU-US Privacy Shield program, and to view Google’s certification, please visit the Privacy Shield website. Google is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If you have an inquiry regarding our privacy practices in relation to our Privacy Shield certification, we encourage you to contact us. You may also refer a complaint to your local data protection authority and we will work with them to resolve your concern. In certain circumstances, the Privacy Shield Framework provides the right to invoke binding arbitration to resolve complaints not resolved by other means, as described in Annex I to the Privacy Shield Principles.
- We also comply with the US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information from Switzerland. Google has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles and also applies the EU-US Privacy Shield Principles to personal information from Switzerland. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Google’s certification, please visit the Safe Harbor website.
Google takes appropriate steps to protect information about you that is collected, processed, and stored as part of the application and recruitment process.
Updating your information
Google may retain your information to consider you for other jobs at Google which you may be interested in in the future. If you do not want us to retain your information, or want us to update it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, however, that some information may be retained if required by law.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy from time to time. We will post any changes to this policy on this page. Each version of this policy is identified at the top of the page by its effective date.
Last updated 9/20/2016